Skip to main content

If I was involved in an accident with a vehicle whose registration was expired and I was cited for it, do I have a case?

Jacksonville, FL |

Should they have technically not been on the road?

I was cited for careless driving and no one was injured. I just wanted to see if I had a case in court to not have to pay the ticket.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Out of date registration has nothing really to do with the accident. It is one of liability. Without details of the accident, it's hard to give any advice. Consult a personal injury attorney in Jax.


Whether you have a case depends on whether the other driver was negligent in causing or contributed to causing your actual injuries/damages.

The status of a vehicle being unregistered does not negate the cause and effect of the crash, and thus is generally not a factor in FL as to liability. Rather the vehicle's lack of registration goes more to administrative. If not registered, then there may not have been any insurance coverage, which is not good for you. This may also have an effect on the owner's liability (if the driver was at fault).

You'll need to give the specific of your circumstances to an attorney whom you consult in person.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.


The expired tag is incidental. Technically, the other vehicle should not have been on the road. But what if it was a kid on a bike or a motorized wheelchair or a parked car? Based on the circumstances, you were cited by the police for allegedly doing something wrong. From the information you've shared, we don't know what that is, and on this pubic forum you should not get more specific. Contact an attorney that handles traffic infractions to see if they can get the charge reduced or dismissed.


Consult a local Traffic Ticket Lawyer - usually inexpensive & well worth the fee. You can locate an attorney right here on AVVO under the tool "Find a Lawyer"

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


The two things are legally unrelated. A lawyer would say they are "remote" or not causal.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


Your charge has nothing to do with the expired registration.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight the citation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer