Skip to main content

If I was financially controlling ed it go against me ?

Baltimore, MD |

Married for 12 yrs , I was in control of all finances in my home , as was the breadwinner , dint share my accounts etc assets with my wife , now she is filing for absolute divorce , ed it go against me ? she has been a stay at home mom all these yrs with our 2 young kids , also alleges abuse , and is seeking sole custody . ! We have a marital home , only my name on it and no equity , have retirement savings arcs etc , she's moved out of the house with the kids though .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is not unusual for the parent who works, to be the same parent to handle the finances. It is also not unusual for the other parent to shoulder this burden to make things easier on the parent who is working. So, No, the fact that you handled the finances will not automatically go against you. It is clear that if you have not committed any abuse, that your wife is quickly strategizing to gain a strong advantage against you in this divorce. If she succeeds in convincing the court that you have been committing domestic violence against her, then the court at some point is going to issue orders which will hurt you. I would suggest you consult with an experienced divorce attorney for advice on how to protect yourself and your rights in this case. You may reach me at (410) 381-1656. I would be pleased to help you. I am not far from you. David Mahood, Esq.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, does NOT establish Attorney/Client Relationship because you have not retained me and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is merely provided to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. A Consultation, Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required if you would like to obtain my representation. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.


"Financially controlling" is rarely an issue of any consequence. Consult a local divorce attorney and discuss your situation in detail in order to come up with a solid strategy.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer