Skip to main content

If i was falsly accused of domestic violence and i took it to trial and was found not guilty, can i use it in my advantage?

Malvern, OH |
Attorney answers 3


The finding of not guilty ca be used in a variety of ways. In addition to your thoughts, if you want to sue her for false arrest, defamation or other civil torts, you will need to do so in the divorce proceeding or risk losing the claims forever.

***Vigorous Criminal Defense in Central Ohio*** ***False Allegations of Sexual Abuse?*** ***Dealing with Police at a Traffic Stop*** ***Criminal Law Resources*** Twitter: @TLOBJ Facebook: DISCLAIMER: Confidential Information should not be shared on the internet. Anonymous posts can be traced back to the original poster. Be careful what you share on this or any other website. I am a criminal defense attorney based in Central Ohio with offices in Delaware and Marion, Ohio. The laws of other states differ from Ohio's laws. I am not permitted to practice in other states without first obtaining special permission. Nothing on this or any other website creates an attorney-client relationship. If something I say differs from that of your current attorney, you should rely on the advice of your attorney. Your attorney knows the unique facts of your case including the court and other attorneys involved. If you doubt your attorney for some reason and wish to seek other counsel, you should do so in person, not over the internet. The internet is often a good place to gather information, but should not be considered a substitute for legal counsel. The information offered in my posts is for educational purposes only.


A not guilty finding in a criminal case is not binding on the court in a subsequent divorce case. She can still accuse you of beating her, and you can accuse her of making it all up. The judge will sort it all out based on the civil burden of proof, "preponderance of the evidence," which is lower than the "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard used in criminal cases.


Talk to an experienced domestic relations attorney as soon as possible. You should also consult with a criminal defense attorney about filing a motion to seal the domestic violence case. Until it is sealed, an employer could access that domestic violence case, and even though you were found not guilty, it will not benefit your career prospects.