Skip to main content

If i was deined a tourist visa, and my job needs me to take training in th U.S. would I be able to obtain a visa?

Austin, TX |

I was recently denied a tourist visa because eventhough I was taken to the states as a toddler , i believe Iam barred for staying after turning 18yrs old. I was never deported I left i my own. I did pre k through one yr of community college. I have been out of the states for 5 yrs now .

My question is , if my company needs me to take training in the states, i would me able to obtain a visa?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unfortunately not likely based on your prior immigration history.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Regardless of how you left, someone who remains in the US more than one year without legal status, and then leaves, is subject to an entry bar. Talk with a US immigration attorney for case specifics and an in depth explanation of your options.


It appears you triggered a 10 year bar when you left the US. If so, it is unlikely that you will be issued a visa until 10 year have elapsed from the date you exited the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer