If I signed a non prosecution statement can I go back and ask that the person be prosecuted years later?

Desoto, TX |

I want to know why the state did not pick it up and prosecute like they do most other people.

Filed under: Criminal charges

If you signed an affidavit of non-prosecution and the State actually dismissed the case, they are not likely to refile it. Their case becomes much more difficult to prove because you have gone back and forth on it, so they may not want to spend any more time on it. You can certainly call the Dallas County DAs office and ask to speak to a victim advocate. They can look into it for you.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

I agree with Ms. Jaggers. I would add that most prosecutors are likely to be "done" with a case if the victim asks that it be dropped and the prosecutor then agrees to drop it. That might well explain why the prosecutor did not "pick it up".

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Not likely. Once they drop the case, it's dropped even if you change your mind if your signed the dismissal.