If I say this person does not have a soul is this slander?

Miami, FL |

because it is stated as a fact. but the fact is figurative in the form of a metaphor

This is an opinion statement. Not defamation.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

No. That's an opinion.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

More information is needed. Is this person the pastor of a church? A Gospel singer? Agree with the others it's probably not actionable, but that won't necessary stop someone from filing a lawsuit.

The information on this website is provided as a service to the public. While the information on this site deals with legal issues, it does not constitute legal advice. If you have specific questions related to information available on this site, you are encouraged to consult an attorney who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask for free written information about a lawyer’s qualifications and experience. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice and none of the information presented here is intended to create a lawyer/client relationship. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Marc John Randazza

Marc John Randazza

What difference would that make? It is still make-believe. Even if it isn't, if a pastor says that someone has no soul, that is an ecclesiastical statement, which you can't sue over. Under the ministerial exception, courts will not entertain disputes where nothing more than church dogma is at issue.

Generally, no, but other meanings might be implied, depending on the context of the statement, such as dishonesty, that could make someone want to file a lawsuit. Sometimes defamation can be made through innuendo. That does not mean they would necessarily win, but defending the suit would cost you money. If you suspect someone might file a lawsuit against you, or if someone has, it is wise to speak to an attorney.

To schedule a consultation, call my office at 407-965-5519. I am licensed to practice in Florida only. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given after learning all circumstances and conducting a comprehensive examination, including being able to ask questions, and cannot be given just from reading one question on an Q&A board such as this.

No, opinion

No. The existence of a soul has never been proven. Whether or no a person has one, if assumed to exist is an opinion.

This statement is not actionable defamation for more reasons than the fact that it is opinion. It is also not a provably false statement -- a fundamental pre-requisite to any finding of defamation.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

No it isn't. It's an opinion, and not provable to boot.

No. Opinion; not false; first amendment protection; common law privileges; no damages.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

This would be like a lawsuit because someone insulted your imaginary friend. Defamation is a false statement of FACT. There is no factual basis for anyone having a soul.

Even if there were, there would be no case here. If a pastor says that someone has no soul, that is an ecclesiastical statement, which you can't sue over. Under the ministerial exception, courts will not entertain disputes where nothing more than church dogma is at issue. What a suit like this would require, theoretically, is for you to prove that you do have a soul, and to have experts argue that issue in court.