If I recover from a slip and fall can I still sue?

Victorville, CA |

I slipped and fell at work and hurt my knee and I'm slowly recovering, if I recover am I still able to sue ?

Yes. (And, I'm going to add a "Workers' Compensation" tag to your post for additional exposure.)

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Yes.

workers comp

Who do you want to sue? If it is your employer or co-employee, the answer is "No." If it is someone else other than a co-employee or employer, the answer is "Yes." However, the WC insurance company will have a lien against your recovery against any non-employer/non-employee defendant. Check with a California WC attorney.

any claim against your employer would be a work comp claim. however, if the injury was due to the neglect of a 3rd party (maintenance company leaving a wet floor without warning signs for example) you could sue that company

Seems like a worker's compensation claim without any other facts. However, if you slipped because of a third party's negligence (water dripping from a water fountain owned by the building for example) you might still have a personal injury claim.