Skip to main content

If I receive a partial return of my security deposit electronically, should I accept it if I disagree with the amount withheld?

Palatine, IL |
Attorney answers 2


Yes you should.

Written objection. Send to LL. Certified Mail, return receipt requested.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


Send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the landlord indicating your objection and asking for a full accounting. Hold the check until you get a response. If you do not get a response, you may need to decide if the difference in what you received and the amount you expected is worth taking your landlord to small claims.