Skip to main content

If I post a comment on a website, do I have a right to remove that content?

San Jose, CA |
Attorney answers 4


You can ask. Unlikely that they will comply without a court order.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


You can ask all you want, but you went to their website and posted on their comment. If they chose to take it down, they will. Otherwise, as my colleague indicated, you will need a court order.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-client relationship.


You have every right to ask, and the website has every right to refuse. Check the site's terms of use - you may find an answer there.


I often say as cocktail chatter that there is no gravity on the Internet, what goes up does not come down.

That having been said, I have worked for dozens of clients to get information removed or search engine de-listed. I would say the success rate for these kinds of actions among Internet attorneys is around 70% and that the cost is from $1,000 to $1,500. It all depends on the circumstances.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.