Skip to main content

If I plea guilty to a 1st offense misdemenor dui

Lawrenceville, GA |

Is it possible for a lawyer to fight for me to not have sr-22 insurance required? Or is there nothing I can do about that?

Also once I complete everything, such as DUI classes, if I have to have sr-22 insurance and I do get it, when its time to reinstate my GA license after 120 days, what happens if I move out of state? Can I still switch my license? Do I still have to maintain the sr-22?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, there probably won't be any way around the insurance requirement if you plead to a DUI.


Your question and your title are different. Attorneys can help on the criminal charges but not the insurance issues. Sorry!

The information is for general information purposes only. Receipt of this information or e-mail from our website, or other communications should NOT be construed as legal advice for any individual case or situation, nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.


The requirement of the SR-22 insurance is a different segment of laws than DUI. Even if the judge doesn't mention the insurance requirement, in order to reinstate a Georgia driver's license after a DUI conviction, DDS requires this. After 120 days, if you're planning to move out of state, you should first fully reinstate your GA license, and then surrender that in your new "home" state to obtain a license there. Every state has different requirements, and may not issue a full license, or may require SR-22 insurance for a longer period of time.

I am an attorney. I am not your attorney unless you have signed a written contract with me and given me money. This is information for educational purposes only, and no attorney-client privilege exists.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer