Skip to main content

If i owned my home before marriage is my spouse entitled to it

Macon, GA |

she is seeking a divorce because she says i was too controling

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


She may argue that she enhanced the value of the house and is entitled to the value of the enhancement. Georgia is an equitable distribution state. Therefore, it is impossible to guess what value if any, the judge will place on her contribution to the house. Moreover, there is probably other personal property in the marital estate. As a result, you may be able to keep the house, but pay her for the value of her contribution.

You should schedule an appointment with a local divorce attorney to establish a strategy for the divorce matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer