Skip to main content

If I own the house and someone else owns the land can they keep me from living in my house.

Conroe, TX |

We were going through a forclosure. My mobile home was on someone elses property. The mortgage company could not move or seize the home due to getting it off thier property was impossible due to a damaged bridge that can not hold that kind of weight. The home is now mine and in my name. I want to live in it. they wont allow it to be moved but dont want me on thier property what is my rights.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

This is a very complicated situation. Normally, mobile homes are titled personal property (just like a car) and the ownership of them is separate from the ownership of the real estate. However, mobile homes can become part and parcel of the real estate is the mobile home is abandoned, is subject to a landlord's lien, or is attached to the property. Even if you have ownership of the mobile home, you cannot just use the real estate without any payment to the owner of the land. Right now, you may be considered a trespasser. It is also possible that you have some form of squatter's rights/adverse possession.

I would strongly suggest that you quickly hire an attorney to assess your individual situation and decide on a course of action. If you would like to consult with our office, my number is 936-337-4681.


This is a pretty complicated question and the answer depends on a bunch of facts which are not discussed in your question. Typically, if you leave something that is yours on someone else's property for long enough, they will be able to make a claim that it is theirs. This is especially true if they ask you to remove it and you do not. On the other hand, if you use someone's land long enough, and against their will, you can make a claim on the land. It is worth your time to talk with a lawyer, I would suggest that you do so soon. You will at least know what your rights and responsibilties are and possibly might come up with some solutions to solve the problem. I hope you found this response helpful! If so, please take a second and click the “helpful” button below. If you were really impressed, you could even click the “best answer” button! Thank you and best of luck.

The above comments are based only on the information presented in your online question and are not meant as specific legal advice and should not be relied upon by you as legal advice. There may be other facts which would impact your situation which may not be included in your question. I have not been retained as your lawyer, and I do not possess enough information to give you a legal opinion on the outcome of your dispute nor can I completely answer your question without an opportunity to fully discuss all of the facts of your situation. I can only be retained as your lawyer by both of us signing a written engagement letter. You should retain a lawyer to advise you before making any decisions relating to the issues raised in your online inquiry. You should retain a lawyer quickly, because there may be time limits which impact your legal situation. I HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY LEGAL ADVICE TO YOU AND URGE YOU TO GET A LAYWER. I provide a free initial consultation. If you are interested in talking with me, please call 713-666-1981.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer