Skip to main content

If I owe back child support and I sign over my kids to my ex, will I still owe back child support if she drops the child support

Pacifica, CA |

my ex wants me to sign over my kids so the kids can change their last name. If I agree, will I still owe back child support when I sign over my kids and they change their last name. And what rights do I have to see them when the case was made in riverside county, now I reside in san mateo county. They may move to texas if I sign them over.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

There is some information missing to give you an accurate answer but I will try. I am not sure what you mean by signing over. Is someone else adopting your children? if someone is adopting them and you are giving up your parental rights then you will have no rights or obligations. As to the arrears, if your ex wife has received or is receiving public assistance, you will not be able to get rid of any child support arrears. The reason is that the money is owed to the government because they are giving her or gave her public assistance. Even if she is not receiving it now, if she received it and some of the arrears is owed to the government they will likely not agree until you have paid off the arrears.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


You owe the child support, it is not going away. Even if your ex drops the child support order she can go back to court next month and have it reinstated to full guideline level. The only way you alleviate yourself of child support responsibility would be if she files a petition to terminate your parental rights in conjunction with another person adopting the children. Otherwise, no dice, you are going to owe child support.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


You still owe the back child support. It is unclear whether you are signing your rights away so that another person will be adopting the child or not. The only way future child support can be terminated is if your child is adopted by another person. If this happens you will have no obligation to support that child. However, you will have no rights to be in the child's life either.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer