Skip to main content

If I marry , will I become legal in the United States ?

Cincinnati, OH |

I am 18 years old and I'm from Russia, here on illegal status but our case is somehow in process ., they keep holding it back. I came to United States 4 years and 11 months ago , came with visitor visa . At the moment our visa is expired , I finished high school here with great grades and had potential to study but it's just so hard to gather all the money for the collage and it's too hard to find a job . I have to work long hours for little money to make it . My parents and brother also are here . I have a boyfriend who is 17 years old and he was born here and we are going to get married soon with acceptance of his parents , would the marriage to my boyfriend help me to become citizen since. I entered to U.S legally , I was little and couldn't make my own decissions. Please help

MY BOYFRIEND IS 17 AND I'M 18 , does that changes the case of him applying for my permanent residency

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



You say your case is in "process". Does this mean you are in the process of being deported?
In general, yes getting married will allow your husband to petition for your Permanent residency.
However, if you are in removal, things need to processed through the court.

I suggest you hire an attorney to assist you.
Our office takes clients from all over the US.

The answer above is for general information purposes and not considered legal advice. This interaction does not create an attorney-client relationship.



in process for legalization but they keep holding it back , i have no criminal or any record.



My boyfriend is 17 years old , does that changes the case for me to become legal


It appears that you may qualify for AOS based on a Petition by your US Citizen spouse, provided you will be in a bona fide (genuine) marriage and have no precluding criminal history.
Also, if you are in removal proceedings, you will have to meet a higher standard of clear and convincing evidence that the marriage is genuine and was not entered for immigration purpose alone. If that is the latter case, you need to speak with a local immigration attorney on your further options. It is all doable, it is just has to be done properly.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I agree with Attorney Alo ... your facts aren't clear.

If your fiancee is less than 18, he can NOT sponsor you. Once he turns 18, and you get married, he can sponsor you. But, there will be problems with financial sponsorship.

On top of that there is the 'process' you talk about.

Meet with an attorney ... hopefully your parents were smart enough to hire one for the 'process'.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer