Skip to main content

If I make 100,000 a year while my spouse makes 30,000 a year will I have to pay him alimony?

Kansas City, MO |

y? I am willing to give him one of the cars(now worth 10,000) in good working order, the house (we still owe 99,000 on it. Payments are around 1,000/mo) and pay for our daughter's student loan entirely (650/month)?? Also, he does have 24,000 from his mother's estate still in his bank account.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Alimony, called spousal support, can only be granted by Court Order. Such a Court Order is a result of either the Judge deciding to award it based on the evidence produced at trial or the parties agreement.

Courts look toward the factors mentioned in RSMo 452.335 to determine whether and how much support should be awarded. Here is a link to that statute: (

I would talk to your attorney, they will be able to discuss how your particular situation would likely play out and help you put together a settlement offer with terms that you find acceptable. If you do not have an attorney, I strongly suggest you find an attorney with family law experience to guide you through your divorce.

*** If you like my answer, please mark it as the best answer.

C. Curran Coulter II, J.D.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
8000 Maryland Ave., Suite 1060
St. Louis, Missouri 63105
Office: (314) 721-1116
Fax: (314) 725-1026

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Missouri and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. Responses are based solely on Missouri law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer