Skip to main content

If i live in miami and my ex-bf lives in new york and he was to take me to court for custody and i cant make it what can happen

Miami, FL |

i live in miami and he is taking me to court in new york i just got papers through a family member from the usps stating i must attend court on the 29 of july 2013, i cant make it i never got served hand to hand what can be done please help because he is harrassing me with texts and phone calls.... i have no way to get to new york on a short notice. He is also telling the court im a bad parent but with a good heart(what is that) and that im leaving my kids in harms way. can i countersue this man for defermation of charter?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think that you should be less concerned with defamation of character (people can say anything in the context of a legal proceeding and it's privileged) and more concerned about the hearing in New York. You need to hire a New York attorney in order to help you address the service of process issue. You can call Paul Siepmann if you would like to hire a New York attorney. His phone number is 631-948-0362. Tell him that Bill Rosenfelt sent you. Good luck.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


Where is the Child? That is the key question.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


Contact an attorney in New York to discuss your options and to see if the action up there is valid or not.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.