If i have neighbors disturbing the peace and when i call the police they NEVER come out on the complaint what can i do?

Boston, MA |

I have complained to the police commissioner the city mayor and the Attorney Generals office and NOT one will do anything what are my choices of action? I feel my cicil rights have been Violated

It sounds like you've been pegged as someone who submits spurious complaints. The mayor's office, Attorney General's office, etc. have other things to do rather than respond to such complaints, so you won't get any traction with them. And though it might seem that the police department is required to enforce the laws, they have a great deal of discretion in handling complaints of disturbing the peace.

You could submit an application for criminal complaint against your neighbors for disturbing the peace, or even theoretically sue them for creating a nuisance, but I'm not recommending either course of action. The courts are clogged with groundless cases every year, and you don't want to be responsible for a case that will just be dismissed; it's a waste of your time and public resources.

If you're a tenant, it would be good to start looking for another place. If you're a property owner, it's not a bad idea to consult with an attorney, but based on the facts you've given I wouldn't take any action without doing so.

No i am NOT one to Complain for the least little thing first off. and second off I have complained quietley the the housing manager and NOTHING was don it still continues to go on. I have written complaints as well to the manager NOTHING has been done so I have complained about the Manager NOT doing her Job to the head of the housing and NOTHING is done so I have written to Housing and Urban Development in regards to NOthing being done by the Manager. I get told just call the POlice so I then do That and still NOTHING is Done NOT even the Police Bother to come out to check the situation out. and each time it is the sane tenants that I have complained about. and each time NOTHING is done. I honestly feel I am being Discriminated against as I am Caucassion and the Manager and the Tenants involved are of Hispanic race

I agree with Attorney Varszegi. You could apply for a criminal complaint yourself by going to the courthouse for the jurisdiction where you live. You could also sue them for nuisance, violation of your right to quiet enjoyment of your property, etc. But that may not solve your problem. Some people get even more belligerent when they know they're disturbing someone. Could make problems with the neighbors escalate. Try looking for another place.

Attorney Lauren Craig Redmond ~ 617.953.6116 ~ No attorney/client relationship is established or implied by any email or phone conversation.

To whom it may concern: I am writing to you with my story in hopes you could help with a complaint I have been having with the Boston Police Department in regards to NOT responding to calls for disturbing the Peace and drug Activity for the past 5 years now. I moved into the Old Colony Housing Development in South Boston on or around October 2007 and I had been having Problems since day one of a neighbor having traffic in/out of the Building at all hours of the day/Night smoking pot in the halls stinking up the halls. it smelled like a skunk and was very strong oder i had complained to the housing manager and she refuses to do anything I have complained to the mayor of Boston I have complained to the police commissioner and never anything has been done. cars double parked blocking other tenants from parking or getting out of a parking spot, sitting all over the stairs blocking the entrance to the Building and would NOT move out of the way, smoking in the halls stinking up the halls with a very strong oder that makes you wanna puke, doors slamming at all hours, loud talk-en and music at all hours. leaving the main door to the Building wide open freezing other tenants out, people sleeping in the halls, people relieving them self in the halls. I had even called the Boston Police and they wouldn't do anything either. half the time they NEVER even Bothered to respond to my call of complaints. Well then I move to another Building by force of the housing Because of the new re-Development Phases so i move into the new Building and I am still having problems with traffic in and out at all hours, smoking in the halls stinking up the halls with the same smell as at the other Building, door to Building Left wide open all the time, freezing other tenants out, people hanging in the halls that do NOT live here, Loud music at all hours of the day/Night. I complain to the housing Manager NOTHING is done, I complained to the Mayor of the city of Boston NOTHING is done, I call the Housing Police they NEVER show up and when I call to find out when they are coming out to put a stop to the Noise I am told we have more important crimes to deal with so i call the Boston Police and I get the same Treatment from them as well. I had one time i did call the Boston Police for Loud Music at like 12-am they did come out BUT the first officer did go up to the second floor and just stood there NOT even doing a thing but kept clearing is throat and then a few minutes later he came back down the stairs as another police officer did arrive so then both the officers are walking in the hall back upstairs talking and laughing as if it was day time and nothing was wrong. they proceeded to stand in the hall up on the second floor conversing between themselves NOT doing anything to stop the loud Music so i called back the Police station with a complaint of how and what the police were towards my complaint. The Dispatcher stated they would call to the officers at the scene. Well the Dispatcher must have done as they claimed they would Because a few Minutes later the officers came banging on my Apartment door with the Night sticks as if they were breaking the door down. startled me and my elderly mom (80 yrs. old in bad heath) y mom was so shook up and had pain in her chest after they banged the heck out of our door to our apartment. well I open the door all shaken up and the officer says to me there is that any better to me and he seen my mom sitting in the chair holding her chest and NOT once did he apologies or ask if she needed an ambulance. so then they had left with NO concerns on if we were okay. so I called Back the Police station to complain again about what just happened. At this point i was transferred to the Sarget on Duty and made my complaint be known to him and he stated that the officers actions were uncalled for and he would have a talk with him when he came back in to the station. Well now I am Having Problems still and every-time I call the Housing Police or the City of Boston Police they NEV