Skip to main content

If I have been served a summons for forcible entry and unlawful detainer, do I need to show up for the court date?

Erie, CO |

I am not filing an answer, so what happens from here?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes -- or you may be forced out of the dwelling.

Many attorneys in Colorado deal with FED cases. Find one in the phone book tomorrow to discuss your situation.

Good luck.


In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


If you don't file an answer the landlord will get an Order of Possession. Shortly thereafter they can arrange to have the Sheriff come to the property and they can have a crew remove all your belongings and move them to the curb. If you do not have a defense to the FED action you need to move your belongings out of the property ASAP.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.