Skip to main content

If I have already paid my lawyer to do a job and it has not been done can I get my money back? and what do I do?

Summerfield, NC |

I want my husband to adopted my 2 kids from a previous marriage bc the father hasn't had anything to do with them in close to a year. I paid my lawyer for a abandonment case and nothing has really been done, I have tried calling and have been told he will call back but never does. I want my money back if he isn't going to get it done but dont know how and would like to turn him in.....its been over a year since i paided him up front and told him what i wanted. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You certainly have a right to fire your lawyer if you are unhappy with his services; however, it's always best to try to work things out first and seek a resolution to the issues. If you terminate representation, you have a right to have your file promptly returned to you and a refund of any unearned portion of fees already paid refunded. If there is a dispute as to the fee, the State Bar has a fee dispute resolution process. I've included a link where you can find more information.

This information is provided for general purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created with the furnishing of this advice. Attorney licensed in North Carolina only.


Obviously your attorney should be communicating with you and the process should not be taking so long. If you cannot get them to work with you then you will have to talk to another attorney. You current attorney should give you your file. Whether you are entitled to any money back will depend on the agreement you have with your attorney and how much work they have actually done.

This response does not create an ongoing duty to respond to questions, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship, it is simply the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. The Answering Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer