Skip to main content

If I have a warrant but did not recieve the papers how long does the state have to issue the warrant papers

Crossett, AR |
Attorney answers 4


A warrant is not a document that gets mailed out to you like a summons or other court pleadings. It gets issued and is turned over to the sheriff for them to act on it. Therefore, If you have a warrant, then it has obviously been issued, and in spite of the fact that you have not received it, it will sit out there awaiting you indefinitely until they pick you up, or until you go into court and get it cleared.


Go get an attorney and turn your self in. That warrant is not going away but you can still fight it.

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.


If there is a warrant out for your arrest, you need to contact a criminal defense attorney ASAP to locate the case, redocket it and motion the court to recall/set aside the warrant. Get counsel to assist you ASAP.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


The warrant remains valid indefinitely. but the state must exercise diligence in getting it served. If it is an old warrant and you never moved or were easily found, it may be considered "stale", resulting in charges being dismissed. Hire an attorney right away to help you deal with this. Be sure it is a criminal defense attorney who knows the ins and outs of stale warrants.

No attorney-client relationship is established with this answer. It is not to be considered legal advice, but is merely given to point you in the right direction and give you a general answer as to the law regarding the question you have asked.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer