Skip to main content

If I have a truck that used in my business and is my personal vehicle, can the petitioner take it from me.

Martinez, CA |

She is claiming other vehicles not registered in the business name and some that are in the business name. The business is in both our names but she has had no involvement in it for at least 2 years. Can she take the one vehicle I use personally and professionally and can she take the tools and equipment that use for my livelihood?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably cannot take anything. Maybe a court order will help one side or the other. Best to deal with the issues straight up asap. If it's a life or death kind of thing, get representation fast.


If you need that truck and your tools for your livelihood this what generates your income, the court is certainly going to give you exclusive use of the truck and tools. If she has made threats in this regard, seek out an emergency order which you should be able to obtain within several days to prohibit any of her potentially irrational conduct.

I hope this is helpful.

John N. Kitta

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.


I somewhat disagree with the other answers purely on the mechanism by which this could be done. In other respects, I fully agree with their answers.

She legally cannot outright take anything. She would have to seek a court order to dissolve the company and then liquidate the assets, and then divide them.

However, you would potentially have several defenses, including statute of limitations, latches, estopple and abandonment.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer