Skip to main content

If i have a felony can i marry an immigrant?

Orlando, FL |

my fiancee is from israel and wants to get married but i have a felony

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can marry your fiancee. Your felony conviction has no impact on getting married to an immigrant. If you are filing for a fiancee visa or a marriage green card to get your fiancee in the U.S., immigration service will do a criminal background check on your fiancee, not you.

If you need more assistance with a Fiancee Visa petition or Marriage Green Card, please contact our law firm, Bogle & Chang, LLC.

Good luck to you!

Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq.

Immigration Legal Team
Bogle & Chang LLC
Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101


There is nothing to stop you from marrying your fiancee.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


I beg to respectfully differ from my colleagues. If the felony you were convicted of was one involving child abuse you will be barred from petitioning your finance.

Specifically in 2006 the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety was singed by President Bush. It aims to protect children from sexual exploitation, violent crime, prevent child abuse, child pornography, promote Internet safety, honor the memory of Adam Walsh and other child crime victims.
Section 402 of the Adam Walsh Act BARS U.S. citizens and LPR's who have been convicted of any “specified offense against a minor” from filing a family-based immigrant petition (INCLUDING Form I-130 on behalf of ANY beneficiary.) Section 402 also amends the INA to include fiancees.
So the answer is depends on the type of felony you have been conviceted of. Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer