Skip to main content

If I got married in the Dominican Republic, can I get divorced in New York City?

New York, NY |

I am a US citizen and I was married in the Dom Rep. back in 2002 and have been living in New York city my entire life. I traveled to the Dom. Rep. on and off since my wedding and now have decided to get a divorce. Can I get divorced here in NYC even though I married in the Dom Rep?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Marriage
Attorney answers 3


I am sorry to hear about your situation. Your questions are not simple enough for me to just write answers as I need more information such as will it be contested or uncontested? How long have you lived in NY? Does he ever come to NY?

I would be happy to speak with you about your case and help answer your questions. If you are interested, feel free to call. Additionally, we offer free consultations on the phone so you do not even have to leave your home to get help.

I wish you the best of luck.

Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720 email
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)


It does not matter where you were married. What matters is where is your legal residence and have you been there a sufficient amount of time to be eligible to file for divorce in that jurisdiction. Short answer: yes you can file for divorce in New York.

This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.


Yes, you can get divorced in New York. If you have children and/or any property together, you'll need to work out some details, but an attorney can help you with this. I recommend you contact a local attorney as soon as possible so you can discuss your specific circumstances in confidence and work out the most efficient and economical solution.

Good luck!
Law Office of Mary Katherine Brown
toll-free 855-579-6552 or email

You may contact Ms. Brown at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.