Skip to main content

If I got into a car accident, it wasnt my fault, no car insurance at the time, can I lose my lisence?Dmv wants me to report ins.

San Jose, CA |

I got into a car accident. I was driving the vehicle. Brother was in the car and injured. Torn ligaments in kneck. Car totaled and there car insurance paid for the damages. Car ended up being totaled and wrote me a check. I insured my car the day after the accident and im still insured even though I dont have a vehicle anymore. My concern is the dmv is aware of the accident and wants me to report my car insurance information stating 10 days with in the accident. Will I lose my license and have to pay fees?I live in CA. My other concern is I got into a car accident before this one and 8 months prior and had to go to the doctor for my back. They gave me pain medication and then I through out my back 3 months after that and again from doing normal daily activities. I havnt settled. Not sure

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Driving without insurance is a problem. Your license is indeed in jeopardy. While I presume you have not been charged for a violation of the law, the DMV has administrative powers and can perhaps seek to revoke your license. You need an attorney that defends parties at DMV hearings.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


This is an administrative law matter, get an attorney. At the very least you will have to show current proof of insurance. BTW there is a reduced rate plan with reduced coverage available for those with financial issues.


Get a free consultation ASAP. It will help you decide if you need to hire a lawyer. This forum is good for getting a short answer, but you need a full consult to get ALL the important facts out for consideration.


Retain a local administrative law attorney to resolve this.


yes your license can be suspended - you may get a to and from work exception. You will need to get insurance.


I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is that based on the limited facts I would follow the law and report that accident as you are required to do and talk to the dmv about any financial circumstances or issues that lead to you not having insurance (example mistakenly missed payment). Even though you did not have insurance you can make a claim against the other party's insurance and so can your brother. The insurance company will have to pay for the torn ligaments of your brother and all the treatment he receives. Moreover, the insurance company will probably want to purposefully take a recorded statement from you in order to pin down your statement and weaken your case, hopefully you didn't do this. You should definitely not talk to them until you have hired an attorney. Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case and get you a rental if you need one.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney. With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body ; and of course how high is the at fault person's policy. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the San Jose area.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email:; Website: I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Get insurance. Hire a lawyer and have lawyer appear with you at DMV Hearing. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer