If i got asylum can i change my passport at the embassy of my contry in USA?

Kitty Hawk, NC |

In 2011 i got asylum and i got green card,i 'm permanent residend in USA ,now my passport is expired ,and my green card is not available with out my passport ,can i go to the embassy of my contry to change my passport./?

You can apply for a Refugee Travel Document.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

File form I-131 application for travel document for a refugee travel document.

I agree with my colleagues. File the I-31.

I wouldn't advise that! Instead apply for a Refugee Travel Document on Form I-131. You will be able to travel internationally on that one, as long as you can obtain visas to enter the countries you are seeking to travel to.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Don't forget to designate a "best answer "your question.

I agree with my colleagues file for a refugee travel document

Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not constitute legal advice as all facts are known to him. For specific advice or representation you should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law. Mr. Brown's reply on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship not constitute legal advice.