Skip to main content

If I got a same-sex marriage in another state 2010 and now divorcing in Illinois where it is a civil union as of July this year.

Chicago, IL |

Married in Connecticut in 2010. Illinois Civil Union law passed July 1.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


What is your question?


If your question is where can you divorce, the answer is here. The Illinois Civil Union law
granted Illinois courts jurisdiction to issue judgments of dissolution to same-sex couples who were married in other states prior to Illinois civil union law.

If you need an attorney, please link to our website below.


If your question is whether you can get a divorce in IL, the answer is YES. This assumes that IL has the necessary jurisdiction.

The Civil Union law in IL was passed before July of 2012.


AND soon in Illinois you may be able to actually get married (or remarried as the case may be) as a same sex couple - not just a civil union. I just wrote a brief article on how that legislation is progressing.

Comments made to questions are for informational purposes only. You should not rely on any of the comments made until you have fully consulted with an attorney. Also there is no attorney-client relationship with my office until you have signed a formal retainer agreement. My comments are made based on the general information provided and are not specific to your situation as it is generally impossible for you to provide all the information needed for a full analysis.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer