Skip to main content

If I get a judgement against me and I own a home, do they simply put a lien against the home or am i forced to pay another way?

Bethlehem, PA |

Are they able to garnish wages; and if so, how do they determine how much?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A judgment is a lien against your house, and it can also be enforced a number of other ways. They can't garnish your wages (i.e. in the hands of your employer) in PA, but once you put your wages into a bank account they can garnish your bank account. They can also seize personal property in your home, but they must follow a strict set of procedures to do so.

Please mark this as a good answer or a best answer and submit a positive review for me on AVVO if you feel that this answer has been helpful.

This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. To get legal advice, consult an attorney in your local area or the area where the issue is located. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response is based on the limited facts provided, and without any independent investigation of the author. Given additional or different facts, the response would likely change. The attorney providing this response is only licensed in Pennsylvania, and you should contact an attorney in your jurisdiction if it is outside Pennsylvania.



It seems unestablished as to whether the judgment creditor is a mortgagee. In that case, does joint ownership safeguard the house from the lien? Or can the value of the judgment be taken against this properrty for 1/2. Also if every judgment is a lien what happens to a mortgagee's priority when the date of the judgement is typically operative? Thanks!


If you are married and the house is owned by both you and your wife, then they probably cannot put a lien on your home if the judgment was against you, and not against both you and your wife.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.


I believe that they can once they get a judgment and then have it attach to any and all real property in your name. As far as a wage garnishment, I do not believe that can be done in PA, but they can sieze bank accounts in our name. Please contact an attorney in your jurisdiction for assistance.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.


If the judgment is against you only and you own your home with your wife, they cannot attach the judgment to your house. However, you don't want a judgment out there, if you can avoid it. Best to try to deal with it now.

The responses to the questions on this site can be a useful guide to assisting you with your legal questions and at least give you an idea on things you should be thinking about. However, the response should not be considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney for that.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer