Skip to main content

If I file for naturalization, is there ground for denial due to lack of moral character? - Class 1 Misdemeanor for speeding.

New York, NY |

NY resident qualifying for naturalization this year (DV Lot GC holder for over 5 years). Reckless driving Misdemeanor was in a different State

Additional details:
- Charged of allegedly speeding in the state of VA and convicted of Reckless driving (speeding). Anything above 20MPH the speed limit is a class one misdemeanor in VA. This happened this year (2013). No damage to any property and no alcohol involved. Paid a fine less than 500 $. No probation and no jail time.
- Over the last 5 years, I have two other speeding tickets in NY. Paid fines but none above 500 $. First in 2009 and second in 2010.
- No other convictions. Criminal or otherwise.

What's the likelihood that these events, especially the Misdemeanor for reckless driving, could complicate this case?

Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The misdemeanor is not considered a crime of moral turpitude, especially a misdemeanor involving speeding tickets. You should not have a problem with applying for naturalization. However, you need to be honest about the misdemeanor on your application. You should contact an attorney to make sure you are filling our the form properly and providing all of the appropriate documents.


A huge problem. Use the fact that you are in NYC and seek a consultation with one of the experienced immigration attorneys the City has to offer. You might be glad you did.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I would recommend that you review the details with an attorney. Virginia is a horrible state for a foreign national to get any sot of conviction in. It could affect the "good moral character".

Contact me at This response is provided for informational purposes. I cannot provide legal advice specific to the facts of your particular case without a signed contract in which you have agreed to allow me to represent you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer