If I fail a drug test in the pre trial diversion program in Georgia, can I still use a drug first offenders plea?

Athens, GA |

Im not sure that I failed the test, but I am being called into a meeting on a non-scheduled date with my officer and the only explanation I have is its possible I failed a test. What would happen?

Lots of things COULD happen. The answer of whether you can use your FO plea is that you would still be ELIGIBLE, but FO is never guaranteed. It's not a "right." Judges can deny it.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

what is the likelihood that a judge would deny a FO plea?

John Arnold Steakley

John Arnold Steakley

I have no idea. Who is your judge? What does he/she think of FO pleas in general? What does he/she think of FO pleas for people who can't cut it on diversion?

The answer to your question is maybe. Cases where pre-trial diversion are not successfully completed are referred back to the prosecutor's office for disposition. So you would be eligible for treatment under the first offender program or perhaps even a plea under "conditional discharge." But as Mr. Steakley stated these types of plea are not guaranteed.