Skip to main content

If I did not sign the child's birth certificate do I have rights to sign away?

Jamaica, NY |

I am being asked to sign away my rights to a daughter I am not sure is mine. I didn't sign the birth certificate & I don't even know if my name is on the birth certificate. Do I Have any parental rights towards this child? And will I have to pay child support even if I don't sign my rights away since I have not acknowledged the child as mine & my name might not be on the birth certificate?
Also if I sign my rights away will I still have to pay child support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Duplicate post.


The only way you can sign your rights away is in the context of an adoption. If someone else adopts the child, you will not be liable for child support.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


duplicate post

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer