Skip to main content

If I cant appear in court due to lack of t4ansportation for a criminal trial agains t me what can I do?

Baltimore, MD |

I live 30 min away from the courthouse and I dont really have anyone to take me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Unfortunately you must appear or a bench warrant will be issues. I strongly suggest you take a cab or get a friend to drive you as you are required to appear. I doubt the court would postpone a hearing based on lack of transportation as you would need to provide a te when you could be present.


You need to appear in court. Failure to appear will result in a bench warrant for your arrest and/or other charges being brought against you. Hire a cab or car service to take you. No judge will be sympathetic to the "I really don't have anyone to take me" excuse.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


You need to find a way to appear. If your court date is far enough out, more than 14 days, you could ask the court to postpone your case. The court may or may not do it. But if you fail to show, a bench warrant will be issued and you can be arrested. - This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


I encourage you to hire legal counsel. If not, file a motion for continuance and hope the court and prosecutor are willing.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.