If I can not appear to court due to weather issues and no transportation I have an attorney what will happen ?

Brentwood, NY |

My charge is first time Petty Larceny with a misdemeanor 2 years ago of DUI and it is closed now had To do community service and pay a fine.

Your attorney should appear for you to explain the circumstances.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Well I know that my attorney is going to be there but I've been trying to get In touch with her to let her know that I won't be able to make it and no response that's a bit unprofessional

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

You know, it's funny but she may be having the same weather problems you have since you and most likely she live in Suffolk and the roads are bad. She also may not have been in the office over the weekend to get your message again, due to the weather and finally, transportation issues are an excuse that you may get away with but not necessarily so maybe try and get there. Most of the roads are re-opened already this AM.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Call your lawyer and the court just to make sure they know that you can not make it.

Thank you so much I got in contact with my lawyer and she said its ok she will advise the judge of my circumstance given that the roads here are not plowed yet.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

You are welcome, glad it worked out.

You need to call the court. Hopefully the Judge won't issue a bench warrant. Courts are usually understanding aftet large snow falls.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Thank you so much.

Given that some areas of Suffolk have 30 inches of snow and many roads are not plowed, you should be ok IF you reach your attorney and tell him whats going on, and failing that contact the Court and advise them of what is happening with your transportation. Follow up in writing.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Thank you so much you have eased my worries.

Telephone your attorney, get an adjournment.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice which requires all the details, nor creates an attorney client relationship.

You will want to let your attorney know right away so that they can appear. You might also back that up with a call to the court clerk unless your attorney tells you not to. The bad weather is certainly well known in the area so you should get a continuance.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632. www.nyccriminallawyer.com