Skip to main content

If i apply for an itin for my nonresident alien husband, will he later be denied a social security number?

Newburgh, NY |

He won't be eligible for SS # until sometime in mid 2014. I would like to be able to file under married status next year but want to be sure I clearly understand the process, and am not inadvertently jeopardizing his resident status later on.

+ Read More

Filed under: Fraud Social security
Attorney answers 3


He should not be denied the Social Security, merely based upon his obtaining a TIN #.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


NO CONNECTION if there was no fraud.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


He can apply for an ITIN and it should be no problem later. Once he gets his social security number he starts using that and stops using the ITIN.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer