If I am pregnant by my ex boyfriend is it illegal for me to leave the state?

Mishawaka, IN |

If I am pregnant by my ex boyfriend is it illegal for me to leave the state? He says it is illegal for me to leave the state carrying his child without his permission. Is this true?

No, that is absolutely untrue. Until paternity is established in a court of law, you are free to make all the decisions on behalf of your unborn child. You are free to go is you please.

Now, as a practical matter, I would not rub his nose in that.

Also, does he have the right to know exactly where I'm going?

Robert West

Robert West

Are you fleeing from abuse?

Yes.

Robert West

Robert West

Do not give him your address for now. After the child is born you can get support and set up arrangements to protect yourself if he gets some type of visitation.

No, you can leave. This is more of a family law question.

No, it is NOT illegal. If you want to go to a different state you can and you do NOT need his permission.

Unless he is a danger to the child, he has a right to see the child after child is born. He will also be required to pay child support.

But you can go live in any state you want right now.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
www.olivielaw.com

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Would it be illegal for me to not inform him of where I am going or where I am at even after the child is born?

Andre R. Olivie

Andre R. Olivie

You don't have to tell him anything. However, he can sue you in Court for parental rights and then yes you would have to tell him and the Court could order you to allow visitation, as long as the Court believes that he is not a danger to the child. I would just save your self the trouble and let him know about the child after the child is born. If you are afraid for your safety or the childs safety then let the police the know.

Andre R. Olivie

Andre R. Olivie

He may be a terrible person and you may want him out of your life forever, but remember he is the baby's father and he has the exact same parental rights as the mother. (If he would be a danger to the child than that is a different story).

He is a very mild-mannered person, but once he starts drinking alcohol or smoking he has a very hot temper. I don't think that's healthy for me or a child.

Andre R. Olivie

Andre R. Olivie

Then, if he seeks custody or visitation of the child you can let the Judge know.

It is not illegal for you to leave the state. You do not need his permission.