Skip to main content

If I am on unsupervised probabion for a DUI can I leave the state?

Nashville, TN |
Attorney answers 5


I'm sorry but you said unsupervised, then you went said "paid my fines and one my supervised probation." If that second statement is a typo, and you are unsupervised, there should be no reason that you can't go wherever you want. I'm not licensed in TN but if you call a local criminal defense attorney, or refer to your terms of probation, unsupervised means you are on your own to comply with probation. Don't break the law, that kind of thing is common, but staying in the state without leaving usually isn't a term of DUI probation. Just remember if you are attending a class or doing any community service, or anything that you still have to do for the case must be done and proof turned in to the court or probation. Again, I don't know what specific terms you had to do for probation. Good luck!

Contributions on in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.


Yes you can move if you are on unsupervised probation. Unsupervised probation means that you must only meet the conditions of your probation and there usually is no requirement of reporting just completing the terms of probation. I would check with the court you are on probation with to see if you have met all the conditions of your probation before you move so you won't have to come back to the court to explain why you have not finished all your conditions. Now if you were on supervised probation and you have meet all your conditions but they placed you on tracking/unsupervised probation then you have to have permission from them before moving out of state. I would check with a criminal defense attorney in your area to get the specifics on how the court handles such a matter.


If "unsupervised" the answer is yes.
If "supervised" ask your PO.
You put both in your question.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:



I'm not your attorney and the answer above is fact dependent.


If you were convicted in Davidson County General Sessions Court, then you may leave the state. You are required to comply with the terms of your probation:
* don't get re-arrested;
* complete an alcohol safety school;
* perform 24 hours community service work;
* complete a victim-impact program.
As long as you comply with those requirements, you may live anywhere you like and you may travel anywhere you like.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer