Skip to main content

If I am involved in an accident and my car is impounded into the tow yard, can I leave it in there and not pay storage fees?

La Puente, CA |

I was in an accident and the car was impounded. It looked totaled to me and is not worth taking it out. Am I responsible for fees? I dont have the money to take it out. If I dont take it out can it affect my driving record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The tow yard can sell it to pay off charges you owe them. It should not have any effect on your driving record.


You don't give us enough information to know whether or not there is an adverse party involved which may have insurance and caused the accident. If this was a single car accident and you do not have coverage for these damages, I suggest that you contact the impound yard immediately and work out an arrangement. Until the car is removed, you will, in all likelihood, be incurring storage fees.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.


You are ultimately responsible for the storage fees regardless of who may be at fault. If the other party is at fault, then you can seek to recover the costs from the other party's insurer (if the other party is insured). But, in the meantime, you will need to pay for the fees and if you don't, then the tow company can auction off your vehicle. So, you cannot wait to get paid (if this option is possible) from the other party's insurance company and cannot argue with the tow or storage company that you should not have to pay the fees. This should not have an affect on your driving record.

Disclaimer: Please note that this is not meant to be legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been or is meant to be created with the above statements.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer