Skip to main content

If I am in the US on a J1 trainee (not intern) visa, can I also take online U.S. college classes for credit?

Washington, DC |

While working as a trainee on a J1 visa, I'd also like to take some classes, offered online by a U.S. college. Since I'm not an F1 student, can I still do it? And do I get the college credit after completing the classes? Wouldn't it be pretty much the same as if I was in my home country, signing up for online U.S. classes?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This should not be a problem.


Be sure that the institution will release credit hours at the end of the program. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


There is nothing in the conditions attached to J1 visa preventing you from taking college courses, while you are on the visa. Once your J1 visa term, however, expires mere registration for online courses does not authorize you to remain in the U.S.