Skip to main content

If I am a respondent, why do I have to pay a filing fee? Also can an Inmate in a CSP request spousal support?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was told I have to pay a filing fee for responding to the petition or request a fee waiver.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Everyone -- Petitioner & Respondent -- has to pay filing fees. If you cannot afford the fee, you can request a Fee Waiver.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.


Each party to an action has to pay a filing fee because California is a no fault divorce state and because the Court system needs the money. If a party is low enough on the income scale, he/she may qualify for a fee waiver.
I don't think an inmate can qualify for spousal support because one of the things the court looks at is the asking party's need which is zero if that person is being housed, clothed and fed. One of the other things the court looks at is whether the asking party has the ability to work. If incarcerated, probably not much possibility of that.


The fee is for the "use" of the court system. It does not matter whether you're petitioner or respondent.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The posting of this answer does not create an attorney client relationship with the person who posted the question or any other person.


Q#1: Yes, unless the forum in a Family Support Division Court or you are granted a waiver of fees and costs.

Q#2: If you want an answer from me you will not abbreviate "CSP".