Skip to main content

If I am a felon from dui, can I get my gun rights back for hunting and apply for captains license

Fort Walton Beach, FL |

I have had 2 prior dui"s over 13 yrs ago. I did 6 months in federal prison for the recent dui because it was on a base. Never convicted of a violent crime

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Felons cannot own guns. Period.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Below is a link to the eligibility requirements and disqualifiers for a CCW permit in FL:

Below is a link to FL requirements for a Charter Captain or Boat License:

Below is a link to US Coast Guard Captains License Information:

Good luck.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis


Agreed. Looks like no eligibility here.


Mr. Haber gave you the correct site. I would hesitate buying a gun based upon the fact that you were convicted of a crime which the United States has deemed a felony. I do not do federal work so I do not know if your DUI is a felony under federal law but hopefully a federal lawyer will opine.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. 407-588-6714


Under the Gun Control Act of 1968 the Attorney General could restore your gun rights. The Attorney General assigned that right to the ATF. Unfortunately, because they currently have no allocated funds for that program, it's a bit of a farce. No applications have been processed. Until funds are allocated, ATF will not process any applications. Your only option at this point is a Presidential pardon, sorry. I suggest you occasionally BATFE's website to see if their funding situation changes.

As for whether you can get your Captains license, I'm sorry I can't speak to that. I would suggest you contact the licensing agency and inquire with them. Good luck.