Skip to main content

If I am 16 and my parents have joint custody of me, can I move out of the primary caregivers residence (my dads) and into my mom

Denton, TX |

I will be 17 in two months. My dad got custody of me when I was 10. I really want to move out due to verbal abuse and lots of conflicts. How could I go about this the easiest way? I am also very scared of starting this process and it failing or having to stay here while its going on because of his anger issues. Please help..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This should not be your responsibility. However, if your dad objects to the move, your mom will need to get a lawyer involved to file a petition to modify. You are definitely old enough to voice a preference to the judge. If the judge agrees the move would be in your best interest, then he will allow the move. If your dad lays hands on you, call CPS and the police.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.



What if I want to live with her during the process because I am scared of what he might do? Thank you for your advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer