Skip to main content

If I already have a child support case can I go back and get retroactive child support?

Rockford, IL |

I have had a case for about 2 months and I never went after the ncp for retroactive child support, after finding out he lied about his income (he was paid in cash) I feel it's only necessary. He recently got a legit job but when changing employer information they don't ask about your new income status (which was a lot more). To top it all off he just got laid off! Everyone I have talked to that has cases of their own say not to bother because nothing will change but after a year and a half without pay and with what is going on (changing jobs and layoffs) something needs to be done

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Apparently everyone you talked to did not include any lawyers You have a child support order. It is in effect until there is a change. You cannot seek a modification retroactively. If you feel the father earns more money, you should seek an increase. Now he is unemployed so this is not a good time to seek a modification. As soon as your child's father is re-employed, seek a modification. Child support can be modified only bask to the date of service of the petition to modify. Stop listening to others who collect child support and listen only to a lawyer who handles such cases on a regular basis.


You're absolutely right: something needs to be done. Specifically, you need to hire a lawyer. It sounds like you're getting legal advice from friends and using the State's Administrative agency for the legal (administrative) proceedings. That's nice, because it's free. It also can be frustratingly ineffective . . . as you're discovering. The frustration goes away when you hire a private lawyer to get the job done.


Nothing to add here but you get what you pay for so hire a private lawyer and get this on the right track. Do not listen to non lawyers either.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer