Skip to main content

If husband and wife split up and wife receives a large monetary gift is it community property?

Stanwood, WA |

Before the seperation it was in the process to receive a large sum of money from wifes grandparents who reside in California. Wife and I live in Washington State. the money would be gifted in her name. If it is not indicated as a gift" is there another way it could become community property? We have been married for 8 years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It sounds as if your wife if your spouse is going to receive a large monetary award called a gift before you formalize any separation then it is community property as opposed to a loan. If the amount is large enough or if your marital estate is financially solvent you may want to retain a local attorney. Take care and I hope that things work out.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.