If gifted a car does a written contract still matter?

Rochester, NY |

I got the car from my friend they said they gifted me the car but there is a written contract that i will make payments monthy. Is the contract still valid if they gifted it to me?

Were you making payments on a car which you had purchased when the person decided to gift it to you? If so, the written contract would still be in effect. What you need to do is draft a new written contract, and there has to be consideration. Nominal consideration is fine. So maybe offer them $20 in exchange for the new written contract that way it's valid.

If I'm misunderstanding and it was a "gift" that came with a written contract saying you'd make monthly payments was made at the same time, then it really isn't a gift and the person can demand that you make payments.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

When I registered the car she said it was a gift but we then signed a contract stating I would make monthly payments. So does the fact that she gifted it to me still make the written contract binding?

Daniel DeMaria

Daniel DeMaria

The written contract would take precedence and so at law, it wouldn't be a gift, unfortunately.

Thank you

Why do you think the car was gifted if there is a contract saying that you must make payments? Do you have proof that it was a gift and that they forgave the payments? Does the certificate of title state a lien? Contact an attorney up there, and get an opinion after the contract and other documents are reviewed.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Sounds to me like you need an attorney. A written contract can not be changed by oral agreement. You would need something in writing proving that the written contract was canceled and that the car was gifted to you. As to the monthly payments, was the car owned outright by your friend or were the monthly payments going to financing of the vehicle? If the freind had not finished paying for the car the monthly payments will still have to be made by someone. We you given the title to the vehicle? There are a lot of issues here that need to be addressed. I suggest you consult with an attorney.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.