Questions & Answers
Get the legal answers you need from licensed attorneys.
Question

If employment is at-will and you can be fired for ANY reason, but an employer GIVES a reason, do they have to prove it?

My former employer, may have discriminated/been biased against me. I reported unsafe, hostile work environment, bullying, intimidation, sexual harassment, all things in their Employee Handbook which says if reported correctly they MUST/WILL open an investigation & take action. Instead they did nothing, told me I was exaggerating, & the male employee escalated behavior over time, attempted rape, sexually assaulted me when we were the only 2 employees in the building as usual. HR said "but he's your co-worker, he wouldnt do that", "it sounds like youre making a big deal", leaked all details of the crimes & allowed rumors to spread company-wide as only 1 person, HR Mgr, knew what happened. They didnt fire him! I was then passed by for a promotion despite being the most qualified/experienced. The company refused to look into unsafe, hostile workplace complaints, then fired me for job abandonment as I waited 3 days for them to make my workplace safer. I kept in contact w the company and have documentation of everything. If states are at-will and can fire anytime with NO reason but chose to give one and its false, are they liable? What can I do? Advice other than get attorney? Case?

| 2 answers
Answer
Sponsored Listings
Answer
Sponsored Listings