If Church helps me out financially, do I have to disclose that as income while filing for bankruptcy?

Tampa, FL |

I am self-employed, working odd jobs without any government benefit. Sometimes Church helps me with 100$ or 200$. Should I list that as income in filing for bankruptcy?

Best Answer

THe attorneys have fully answered..however, I wanted to add that you asked "should I list ""that"" as income in filing for bankruptcy". If by the word that..are you referring to both the odd jobs and the gifts from the church? Odd jobs listed in all spots..Statement of Financial Affairs, Means test if within last 6 months (but list expenses also) and if received periodically estimate pro rate amount per month for current income. The Church income gifts I also would list EVERYWHERE as in most cases in your situation (assuming your "odd jobs" is not much money and nowhere near exceeding the means test) in all the same spots also. As a result, it is fully disclosed so impossibly to state you are hiding anything! Good luck..and I hope you find more odd jobs too.

Yes, this needs to be disclosed in the income section of Statement of Financial Affairs. If I was preparing your case I would also include this money on the means test to the extent it was received within the 6 months prior to filing bankruptcy. This may or may not be required depending on your jurisdiction. I would not include it on Schedule I if there is no guarantee you will receive this income in the future, but if you regularly receive this money then I would also include it on Schedule I.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

Christine B. Adams

Christine B. Adams

Good answer

You must disclose all income you received in the six months prior to filing for bankruptcy. The link below gives a general indication of the median income cut offs, but even those who are above the median income can qualify for bankruptcy protection. The only real exclusion from the income disclosure for means test purposes is social security income. Go see an attorney in your area today for more details, using the find an attorney tab above.

I am not your attorney unless you and I have signed a retainer agreement. What I am saying is not legal advice. Do not act on this information without engaging my services, this is for consideration only.

Yes, if you have to ask whether to disclose anything the default answer is always YES. This particular information goes on the Statement of Financial Affairs at question 2. It also must be disclosed on the Current Monthly Income test and on Schedule I as income.

Posting questions anonymously and receiving general answers do not substitute for consulting with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction in which you live. Answers posted here by Kevin C Gleason are only intended for general education of the public on legal matters. Please consult a qualified professional before deciding what to do about your situation.

Yes, disclose your income.
A review is required for various purposes and time periods, such as the last 6 months of income received, the present income, your future expected income, and the last two years of income.
Your bankruptcy attorney can guide you.
Good luck

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

Good response from Mr. Weston

Yes, as all of the other attorney's have already stated. It will not effect your ability to file or hinder anything. One of the most important purposes it to disclose and the honest debtor will be discharge from their creditors. Good Luck.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

Good response from Ms. Adams

Why would you even consider not telling the truth? Do you cheat on your taxes too? WWJD?

yes, include it in the amount of income you have received in the last six months, and your statement of financial affairs.

yes, but it shouldn't matter if its that low.

Yes to satisfy bankruptcy law's requirement that you disclose all sources of income. However, highly unlikely a small monthly contribution of $100 - $200 would make any difference to your situation so not sure why you are concerned with this.

Yes, you must disclose all income received in the last 6 months.

This is not legal advice and I am not your attorney until you retain my office. Always consult with an attorney in your area before acting on anything you read on the internet.