Skip to main content

If child support is awarded and then the resipiant passes away. does the child support stop?

Los Alamitos, CA |

i was orded to pay child support and then the person that was awarded the claim passes away. do i still have to pay child support

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I'm assuming you are saying the mother died but the child is still living. If so, the support would be paid to the guardian aPpointed for the child if its not you.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.


It depends on who the primary care giver is. Also, if you and your ex had been awarded joint legal custody, you are now the physical care giver of the child. If another party becomes the care giver, then that party could possible ask for child support. But, that other party would need court authority to act on behalf of the child.


I agree with the other two answers. And since the support is for the benefit of the child, not the mother, it's still going to be required until the order is revised.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer