Skip to main content

If charges were dropped, is it considered a conviction? Wondering if I have to mark yes or no on job applications.

San Luis Obispo, CA |
Attorney answers 5


If charges are dropped, it's not a conviction. However, before completing it, you should get a copy of the court records and see what it has. The judge may have dropped the public intoxication to a lesser charge, but you still could have been convicted of something.

Better safe than sorry.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


No. A dropped or dismissed charge is not considered a conviction. You may want to double check and look up your charge to see what the disposition was prior to completing your job application.


When the charge is dropped/dismissed, that is not a conviction. It is quite common in San Luis Obispo County to do 20 AA meetings in exchange for dismissal of a Public Intoxication charge. You should have received a piece of paper showing the outcome of your case. If you still have that, a lawyer could look at it and confirm for you that you actually did get your charge dismissed.


It's not a conviction if dropped. Double check and get the minute order to confirm.

Since it's not a conviction, you can mark "no" you have never been convicted. However, if you were arrested, you would still have to answer "yes" if it asks if you were arrested.


If you did not plead guilty or no contest to the charge, then it was not a conviction. This sounds like you were given the option of a dismissal in exchange for some conditions. If you are leaving out a plea of guilt was made, then this changes the equation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer