Skip to main content

If being charged for armed robbery and it is evident the defendant is guilty can a lawyer help reduce the sentence?

Fontana, CA |

if caught red - handed for armed robbery and the DA is offering 16 years can a criminal defense lawyer help reducing the sentence to the minimum ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

You clearly need legal help. If the offer is 16 years, sounds like the robber was committed with use of a gun, because a robbery carries a term of probation or 2, 3 or 5 years and use of a gun adds 10 years. Even if caught "red handed" there may be something an attorney can negotiate, like getting the gun enhancement dropped. And do not discuss facts of case on this site- this is a public forum.


IT DEPENDS on ALL the facts, the Judge, how far the case goes before it is disposed, etc...Bottom line, you really need the services of either a public defender or private counsel to assist you in looking at everything before you agree to any plea bargain! As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question? I truly wish you the best of luck!


Yes absolutely - an attorney is a skilled professional who knows the law and the various sentencing options, assuming the DA proves his guilt (being caught "red handed" doesn't necessarily mean anything). Get him an attorney asap.

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.


Yes- an attorney can be very helpful in dealing with sentence reductions . Get an attorney .


Yes, a criminal defense lawyer can help in many ways, one way is finding holes in the case. No matter how guilty, if mistakes are made, that can help reduce your sentence dramatically sometimes.

Elliot Zarabi

Elliot Zarabi 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I do not know the full details of the case and therefore cannot make a full determination on your case or your answer. I always recommend speaking to an attorney in detail regarding your case.


If the offer is 16 years, then you definitely need an attorney! If the DA is already conveying offers, then I am assuming you have an attorney or you are pro per. If you have an attorney, you need to discuss the case thoroughly with him or her. There are always methods for negotiating, a skill which good attorneys are used to. Talk to your attorney. If you do not feel comfortable with him or her, find a new one. Do not settle for anything without knowing that someone is fighting for your rights!

The above stated is advice only, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer