Skip to main content

If back taxes are owed after death can the IRS take title of car for repayment?

Enfield, CT |

My mom passed away and was paying back taxes on a pension cash in out of her SS check. The IRS was taking it in arrears. My mom owned her car outright so I am wondering if the IRS can take it as she has passed away. Her estate is valued under 5000.00 in Illinois

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sorry to hear about your mom's passing.

The IRS can seek to recover the amounts owed from her estate but it's not likely that they'll try to pursue the car directly. Because it's a very small estate the windup will hopefully be simple but you'll want to make sure any claims against the estate are addressed properly. You may need the services of an estate attorney.

Best Wishes.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer