Skip to main content

If arrested in a county on outstanding warrant from another county will an inmate be released & after how long if not picked up?

Jersey City, NJ |

My husband was arrested walking to work from the bus in Newark,NJ (Essex County) for a (several yrs. old) outstanding warrant on a ticket he was unaware of having for, we think drinking in public(the jails & courthouses in NJ seem not to like answering phones to get questions answered /especially when you try locating your family member that they have arrested.)The warrant was from Jersey City, NJ (Hudson County).Supposedly he can be bailed out for $650.00 ,which is what the charge is for.How long will Essex County wait for Hudson County to pick him up? Isn't there a standard amount of time that they are suppose to have him picked up by? If he's not, will he just be let go from essex county jail or with/without a court date & fine?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Best bet is to go to Hudson and pay the bail so there will be no detainer and he can be released from Essex County without having to wait. You should also retain counsel as soon as possible.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


You should be able to post bail immediately in Hudson County and have him released almost immediately. You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Bail him out when he is brought to Hudson County and then hire a good attorney.

This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.


Most Municipal Courts now have video hookups. If there is no hold on him Hudson should pick him up. Jersey City should come pick him up.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer